When entering your home after a long day at the office or school most of us assume that we are in a safe and healthy environment. Unfortunately, this may not always be the case. Poor Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) has been found to be a major issue in many households, while understanding of IAQ is limited by most surveyed.

Poor IAQ, also known as indoor air pollution, can be the result of a singular source or a variety of contaminants. Some of these pollutants are easier to detect than others, such as a scented household cleaning solution, but others are undetectable by the human senses and often require specialized equipment or sampling to test for them. If left undetected, some of these contaminants may be slowly causing harm to our health, our families, and even our pets. This may not only be through the development of new health issues, but also by flaring up former or intensifying current medical conditions.

One commonly misperceived indoor pollutant is mold. Mold can grow just about anywhere. Needing very little to survive it can be difficult to detect and even more difficult to remediate. Since mold can grow on many different materials including wood, paper, carpet and foods, to name a few, it is impossible to eliminate all molds and mold spores in an indoor environment. Your best course of action is to control moisture levels and be aware of necessary steps if you have a problem.

There are some simple steps to follow if you have a minor problem, for example in your bathroom (a common place for mold to grow since there is usually plenty of moisture):

  • The key to mold control is moisture/humidity control.
  • Fix plumbing leaks and other water problems promptly. Dry all items entirely.
  • Do not paint, caulk or cover up moldy surfaces. Covering up the problem does not resolve it.
  • Mold can cultivate on hidden porous materials, so it may be difficult or impossible to remove completely without professional assistance.
  • Avoid exposing yourself or others to mold, especially if you’re already experiencing health problems or are susceptible to molds and other allergies.

If you suspect that a deeper mold problem exists at your property beyond the surface, it is recommended that you contact a professional to assist you with your situation.